History Of Our Practice
Dr. Joe Austin opened Companion Animal Hospital in the 1950’s, giving it the distinction of being the oldest veterinary practice in the Hammond/Ponchatoula area. Dr. Austin primarily serviced the dairies of southern Tangipahoa and would do some small animal practice when he had the time. Gradually, the dairy industry declined and his emphasis changed so that when he retired in 1982, the practice had become exclusively small animal. Dr. Karan Gillane joined the practice in 1978 and became an owner in 1981. Dr. Ron Gilbert came on board in 1981 and became a partner in 1982 when Dr. Austin retired. Since that time, Dr. Gillane and Dr. Gilbert have continued Dr. Austin’s mission by practicing compassionate and high-quality medicine while staying up to date with new procedures, technology and treatments. Dr. Taylor McCain is the newest addition to our team of veterinarians, and she brings her enthusiasm and expert skills to the practice.